Wednesday 27 October 2010

does your CV cut the colonel's mustard

Quite often self help books quote that your CV must be specific to the vacancy you are applying for, so if you are applying for a role for example in KFC. then make sure you know what you are getting into.
Research on line the role you are applying for, if you are required to manage people or team lead and look after facilities, then ensure you have relevant certificates to prove it, I have found that when a recruiter looks at your CV they look for what they know best.
A recognised management certificate with a membership number and awarding professional body stands out over a certificate that has been issued by a commanding officer of a military academy or training establishment.

If you are applying for a junior position don't over egg your CV, Don't start rambling on about management and leadership if all you want to do is be lead and potter with minimal thought, Never close the door to a future management role keep it simple but keep it professional, remember the skills you learned in the military will often lead you to thinking the management style of your employer does not fit your work environment, or more often than not, you can see a better way of doing something, they may not have changed a system of work because it's always been done that way and it works, where as in the military a good leader should always utilise all the tools available to them, and a new set of eyes and thoughts often lead to a better way of doing something and can often save money and manpower.

Whether you have served  a couple of years or gone all the way and beyond, future employers look for commitment to them, so do your research on the companies products and ethos to environmental statement, the more you research the company the closer you can tailor your CV to them. Remember it's a buyers market now and the skills required by you to get your foot in the door is getting harder, coming from the military is not a guarantee to an interview, but can at very least warrant a longer glance , and some employers know that workforces change on a regular basis, and openly recruit ex forces for there loyalty, this is not always a good thing so research is crucial, some unethical employers know that you will go the extra mile, but won't pay for your commitment so if possible call before you apply and ask some basic questions.

Try and find out what people who work for the company think, have they heard about the job and do they know why the job has come up on the market.

Get your military skills and certificates recognised by civvies before you leave, because once you leave the services converting qualifications and certificates over is NOT cheap, My advice would be use your education grants before you leave as once you leave things get tricky, it's all about forms and signatures with the military and once you leave how much contact with your last unit do you have or want.
I found out the hard way moving from Oxford to Wales  meant I am not near my last unit, and believe it or not
my education section still insist that I need to go through them.

I like most was under the impression that I could go to any military educational establishment closest to me,
however true to do the actual courses, however I was told by my education section that they were the only ones who could authorise forms, I am not going to say that was wrong or right, I personally found my last unit education section quite unhelpful and a bit rude as they didn't know or care about me, until I complained to their boss and web-sites were thrown at me left right and centre, especially when it came to converting my qualifications in to civvi recognised qualifications but you still need to do the leg work and find out the what when and why's you want or need to convert your skills, however have heard others say the last unit they served on couldn't do enough for them, so it depends but don't let your educators fob you off, they are paid to help you not just give you a web-site.

Once you have found a training establishment it has to be on the recognised training list and the course needs to be of a level that fits the criteria set down by your unit and this became very frustrating for me finding establishments near me that the RAF would allow me to train with and pay for, this became even harder once I left service.

Don't let my my bad experiences with education payment put you off, most establishments i'm sure will bend over backwards to help, my advice go early to your education section get to know the staff and education officer and don't take no for an answer, never get fobbed off with a list of web-sites and most important of all start a plan of what you may need get your education section to assist in drawing a plan that fits you, remember most of us who leave service don't fully understand what is out there on the job market or how the skills we have fit so plan it plan it plan it PPPPP you know prior planning prevents p=5s poor performances.

1 comment:

  1. Bloody good advice there Mr Brunell. Glad the book has helped, and I'm glad you're feeling so much more empowered :)

    ReplyDelete