Saturday 30 October 2010

spread the word

Going back on a previous blogg when I mentioned how you have to fill your CV with more fluff to give it body, so that when a potential employer looks at your profile and stuff you jump out of the page and grab them.
Well today I found another way of getting yourself noticed by potential clients or employers, and that is the local free press news paper and in my case the Argus based in Pontypool, A while ago I approached the local council touting for work, who put me on to a member of the Welsh Assembly, who put me in touch which other people so on and so on.

Last night I had a phone conversation with a local reporter who then sent a photographer around for some snaps of me and my equipment FNAR FNAR, I mean my CPR manikins and first aid equipment so hopefully that should then be in the Monday edition,  so going back as I said earlier it's all about putting yourself about metaphorically speaking then more clients or employers see or know of your the greater the chance of employment be it full or part time.

This yet another area I wish had be covered in greater depth on my resettlement course selling yourself to others is not as easy as I thought it would be, have spent twenty two years not sticking my head up above the parapet and keeping out of the media glare for fear of being slabbed by my fellow workmates, suddenly have to sell myself as a commodity for employers to browse over and reject has hit hard, as going from standing in front of large groups of military and civilians whilst in uniform posed no problem even pride now suddenly standing in a civvi suit and chocking tie gives mill hot sweats and palpitations, I really do know how they feel on dragon's den and to some extent being in front Sir Allan but instead of the your fired wanting to hear your hired.

I have read that preparation prior to an interview or meeting is the key, so here are some of the tips, firstly your ex military so be proud but not cocky, confident but not bullish, your clothes I know most won't need telling should be clean pressed and not too tight, you don't want to be thinking about how uncomfortable you feel or how you look, for men invest in a quality white shirt and plane but not boring tie and ensure your shoes are polished and clean, if Like me you get nervous have a hanky at hand to wipe your brow before you go in
ladies well again you know what to do smart not tart comfy not slob shoes that won't kill you or make you stumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment