Thursday 28 October 2010

There are organisations out there

All the way through my military career I was told never fear, for when you leave there are agencies and organisations ready and willing to help, what can be a problem is that like everything in life there can be hurdles to get over and criteria to be met before they do.
Don't get me wrong this is by no means an exhaustive list and when you speak to your education staff they should have lists ready for your future.

The Royal British Legion can help with many different aspects from Loans to Legal advice, they can help with pensions and compensation if you have had an injury.
Each Service has their own Benevolent funds, who can help with welfare issues that will help not only servicemen and women but dependants too.

As part of the British Legion there are organisations such as Be The Boss, for those who wish to set up their own business, and Civvi Street will help in training, Both have funds available but again come with criteria to be met and can be very long winded and if I am Honest a Pain in the bum if you can't meet every requirement. exactly. But AGAIN DON'T let my bad experience put you off, I failed to meet certain criteria which meant I kept getting passed back and forth between all three organisations, one of which was I had paid for things off my own back and a lot of organisations won't pay for the retrospectively.

You can also use certain civvi agencies that comer under JOB CENTRE PLUS such as JOB MATCH and BACK TO WORK who can pay for a myriad of courses and funding but as with the legion criteria s must be met, and for those who move to Wales the Welsh Assembly Government have grants and courses to assist,  you finding a job, again there is help for those of us either brave enough or is stupid enough to want to set out on your own.

One piece of advise I could give to those who wish to set up on their own, is as part of your resettlement course I would attend the be your own boss session, and they will have much more information for you to set up your own company and sign up to QUEST, handing you good gen from how to get government grants and agencies who will buy certain equipment to what franchises , if they offer a book keeping course then bite their hand off, as I wish I had taken up or been offered a course and then I wouldn't have to pay my accountant £75.00 a month just so I can give him my receipts at the end of the year to fill out my Tax forms,
All the info is available in your education centre and I'm sure your training staff will be more helpful than I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment